Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Few Things

Here are a few things I've learned the last few weeks with my host family and in school:

1) If you ever come to Germany, expect to eat bread. Lots and lots of bread. And Nutella. Nutella is basically the German equivalent of peanut butter in the States. You can find it in any house.
2) Just because the chocolate is AMAZING doesn't mean it's a good idea to eat like 3 bars a week. Even if they are only .99 euros.
3) Expect EVERYONE to know who you are. I've had so many people pass by me in the hall and say "hi Rachel" so I always say hi back and then realize walking away that I have no idea who they are. A lot of times, I've never even seen them. Still don't know how they know who I am.
4) If your history teacher gives you a test on the French Revolution and the only words you understand are "Der Französischen Revolution," draw him a picture of two groups of people fighting with dead people in between and label it "Der Französischen Revolution." He won't want your doodle and you will then be exempt from the test.
5) Their windows are really cool.
6) Germans really like cake and coffee.
7) If you plan on coming to Germany, learn how to use Inliners (skates) as you're first experience in Sport (Gym) class may be going downhill on wheels. Also, learn how to use the brakes before attempting to go downhill.
8) If you are in a really good mood and telling everyone who sits next to you in your classes "Ich liebe Deutschland" expect a lot of "so süß" comments.
9) You will be fluent in Deutlish (a mixture of Deutsch and Englisch)
10) Even though at language camp they tell you to say "yes" to everything does not mean everything, especially if you don't know exactly what they're saying, as this may result in you sitting in a bar with beer after a crazy German party that also contained beer. You may be happy just to make it down the stairs and to the car. And never ever ever, let the "Ich liebe Deutschland" that you were going to say, come out right as you are being handed alcohol, as that will be the running joke with the German kids for the rest of the night.
11) They think your American accent is cute and they will tell you that.
12) Bring a lot of things to do to school in case your teacher decides not to show up and you have more free time.
13) A love for Batman is international
14) If you think sparkling water is the worst thing you've ever tasted, about 2 months later, it won't be half bad.
15) If you've never been a tutor before, you now are...to the entire school population.
16) My German teacher was right, everyone here uses fountain pens. Also, everyone here uses a triangular ruler thing called a "Geodreieck." EVERYONE. And everyone likes to use graph paper in any class, not just math.
17) Your Englisch teacher will probably at some point during the year refer to you as "The Dictionary."
18) Because you're from America, you're expected to know EVERYTHING about America.
19) Your Facebook using will go through the roof, as you're still trying to find things to do and it's the only thing to do. Email too.
20) German TV shows are really bad, hence the reason there are so many American shows made into German.

That's just a start of my adventure here! Still 9 months to go!


8 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel, I wanna have you in my class, so that I could here your American accent :) I'm sure, it's quite "süß" :)
    Hope to see you in October!
    Annika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :) I hope to see you too! I'm waiting to see if my program will let me ride the train by myself. If I can and I work out a few details, you can count on me being there!

      Delete
  2. Rachel you are hilarious!
    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, they're selling peppermint mocho lattes at Starbucks again - a fall tradition you're host family might enjoy... Ellen wants to know what else you've been eating. It can't be just bread. This latest post is really great - you should consider a career as writer. Miss you. Mike and Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love peppermint mocha lattes!! Even in the summer!! And I've had schnitzel a few times, my host mom has made chinese food (really good), and yesterday I had homemade mashed potatoes, ham, and sauerkraut. But A LOT of bread and sandwiches. Miss you.

      Delete
  4. Hey Rachel! I can't believe you've already been there this long. I bet time is just flying. Try the bratwurst. Sausages in europe are nothing like in the states. Schnitzel sounds great too, and sauerkraut. Yum. Bet the ham was really good too. I'm getting hungry now. Have fun! Aunt Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had currywurst and that's good! And yes, time is flying way too fast!

      Delete
  5. Rachel, I am so glad to hear you are having fun in Germany. I laughed out loud at some of your observations, because they are ALL TRUE!! I remember my Geodreieck from school.
    Keep up the blog, it is so entertaining.
    Bettina

    ReplyDelete